Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Savory Baked Apples?!?! NO WAY!

I assure you, these are not the baked apples you may remember from your childhood. And it may sound totally wacky to you, but trust me, this makes a delicious dinner, or lovely side dish to a hearty baked chicken. I'm all about testing new waters (as I'm sure you are aware, if you've read any of my other postings, right?) so it didn't even faze me when mom suggested I try to make this one for us. It was soooo good to me, but she and my sister, Holly, weren't nearly as impressed as I was. Apparently, it really does matter what apples you buy, and just how you put it all together.. whatever, learning experience! hehe I can just see your faces out there wondering how on earth this combo of ingredients will work together to create something edible, but I promise it does, and it's soooooo worth it! Try it once, and you'll be hooked! (don't worry, I'm giving you all the pointers Holly and mom gave me to do it right! hehe)

Savory Baked Apples

1 small Fuji or Gala apple per person, halved and cored (with melon baller, if you have one)
nickel size dollop yellow mustard for each half apple
1/8 tsp thyme per half apple
non-stick spray for pan
9X13 pan for baking


spray non-stick spray in pan, place apples cut side up in pan and squirt mustard on each one. spread around all of open part of apple with back of teaspoon. sprinkle with thyme and bake at 400 for 40 minutes or until apples are slumped.

That's it! Easy breezy and yummy! I hope you really do enjoy, because this is the right way to do it! lol Let me know what you think, please!

No comments:

Post a Comment